Friday, January 1, 2010

Progress and its perils

The feature article of the Economist magazine caught my attention while doing my number 2. Progress and its perils.. Too deep to ponder. I must think of happy thoughts when I'm sitting on my throne. Later..

My year ender was a trip to Entebbe, Uganda. Sadly, it was only a 24 hour stay. When we landed, I was greeted by lush greenery and red, red soil. With the cool breeze blowing on my face while walking on the tarmac, I silently said: Hello Africa! It was an hour long and bumpy ride to the hotel. I was asleep most of the time. When I woke up, I saw my colleague headbanging. Hmm.. I must have been headbanging earlier as well. Before I suffer from stiff neck, I decided to stay awake and just watch how people go on with their lives. Women were gathered next to a mango tree, chatting. Men were on their motorcycles on the side road, watching passer by's. Bunch of bananas were abundant. Lots of kids were playing. I saw caged live chickens which I suppose were being sold. Small houses line the road while at the backdrop, you will see huge, huge houses and mansions on top of the hills. I did not see any traffic light but I guess it's not really needed. There's no traffic anyway. I was reminded of being in a countryside in the Philippines. I love it because I grew up in the countryside. No traffic, everything is within 15 minutes reach. Very convenient. Back to Africa. After the uneventful drive, we turned left and I was delighted to see the place we're staying in. A total contrast to everything I saw. What's the word? Bongga! It was a resort complete with horse stables, olympic size pool, pocket gardens all over, a dock for yachts, grand lobby and buggies that will bring you to your room. As soon as I reached my room, I ordered my lunch.. a huge plate of grilled tilapia and steamed rice. I decided to have it in my balcony. When I'm sleepy, I would get into this state of like being half drunk.. floods of thoughts would rush into my head and it becomes incoherent at some point. I tried my best to stay sober, the air was clean, I was surrounded with the beauty of nature. I started looking back.

I enjoyed my childhood. I have to thank my parents for that. I was really happy with my Barbie Dolls. I loved them like they were my sisters (because I didn't have one, but now I have 3 sisters in law, God's really a great provider!). They had a set of nice wardrobe, a beautiful cabinet, bed complete with side tables and night lamp, swimming pool.. dining set, living room with a fireplace, the works. When I look back, I can still see the little Ivy brimming with great joy as I play with my Barbie Dolls. But what I enjoyed the most was playing with my playmates. We made blowing bubbles out of soap and gumamela flowers, sipped the nectar from suntan flowers, pulled palmera leaves to eat the white part at the bottom, made windmills from coconut leaves, stayed at Ate Jing's house till lunchtime,playing lutu-lutoan.. I also loved time spent with my family.. my mom's cooking, dad's jokes and kwentos, banters with my brother, vacations at my Lola's place and pasyals with my cousins.. Simple pleasures that made my childhood fun and meaningful. Then I grew up. Then technology came. Barbie dolls, blowing bubbles and leaf windmills were replaced by cellphones, gadgets, fancy food, clothes, bags and shoes.. things that always come with a price tag. How much do I need?

Progress is good, technology is great. Paolo once asked me if can I still live without all of these. Probably not anymore. I've already taken my bite of the apple. The world has welcomed me with open arms. I shall not resist. But then, once in a while, I would ask: what if I was never exposed to any of these? What if I grew up somewhere in remote Africa wherein maybe afternoons are spent underneath a mango tree, chatting with my friends, surrounded by kids playing around, wherein the only luxury available is having all the time in the world to be idle and enjoy what's around you.. would I know the difference? Would I feel as if something's lacking? Would I crave for more? I love the life that's given to me and I would not want to trade it with anyone's but the bottom line is, as the world progresses and as the world around me changes, so do my wants and needs. Sometimes it's hard to keep up. My quest for contentment has become the peril of my progress.

Resolution.. Everytime I feel like I'm getting lost in this big ocean, I'd take myself back to where it all started. The home I grew up in, the love of my family.. then I'd think of the family I'm building with my husband. I'd take a deep breath and release a sigh of relief. There are a few things that I can go on without for as long as I'm surrounded by people who matter to me. Paradise ain't so far after all. :)

2 comments: